7/11/10

Attacked by Blackbirds .... and Bears too ?

Last week I wrote a letter to the editor to warn people about the Blackbird attacks on the bike path in Moline. Specifically, there is a stretch of the path where the trees are low to the ground and I thought the blackbirds were protecting their nest. Twice before they have attacked my River Bandits hat from behind and pecked at me during an aerial attack. It happened again today and the blackbird was successful in knocking my hat off my head as I rode by. This was not the same location however and today's attack was in a more open area of the bike path with just a few telephone lines above the path. Each attack has been similar in the approach from behind and all attacks have included a last minute screeching just before impact to the back of my head. As I said,  today the attack knocked my hat completely off of my head. I am wondering if the River Bandits logo on the hat looks similar enough to a blackbird that perhaps it is triggering these acts of aggression. Does my hat represent another blackbird competitor to the neighborhood, or does it look as though I am carrying off with a blackbird on my head and the attacks are an attempt to save a fallen brother ? I believe the same bird tried unsuccessfully to get me again today as I rode back home as I heard the screech attack just before I crouched down into a safety position. The swoosh of feathers quickly passed over head.

Just after the first attack today that knocked my hat off I rode on into the town of Port Byron. As I was passing a couple of other bikers I heard someone yell out to me "watch out for the bears ". As if the blackbirds werent enough of a problem .... now I had to deal with bears ??? what's up with that ?
I think I may have figured out what he meant about the bears but it won't make sense without a photo to help me explain. I discovered the bears just after I turned left into the town of Port Byron as the bike path turns towards the river. I hope to have a picture before next week if the blackbirds don't get me first.

2 comments:

  1. Well, well, well...welcome to the first post of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dust was really getting stagnant and needed to be stirred up a bit .....

    ReplyDelete