9/7/09

How Do You Name your Blog ??

Welcome to the First Edition of my blog that has been named:

"Stagnant Dust in the Fish Dome". Naming the blog was more difficult than naming my children perhaps because I thought it needed to be perfect in order to accomplish a few goals. #1 it had to inspire me to write and to keep me motivated on the project. #2 it had to inspire others to think and ignite their curiosity. After all, I wasnt going to be writing a blog just for the sake of amusing myself with words pecked out on my keyboard. #3 the name of the blog had to symbolize my goals for creating it in a humorous way that connected me to my past and creatively offerred an opportunity to comment on a variety of subjects. I have always appreciated an intelligent dialogue on the challenges and struggles that we find in life, and during my lifetime my connections to people have positively engaged the stagnant dust particles of my imagination. My high school nickname of "Fish" which was an abbreviated version of "catfish" has stuck with me through my on going connections with friends from high school or college. It is possible that this may not be the most flattering of nicknames but nonetheless it is a strong image that keeps me bonded to acquaintances from my past. So this blog is appropriately named after the collective ideas and thoughts that were lying motionless and stagnant within the small brain of a fish. I hope you enjoy sifting through the dust and that you may find interesting subjects that inspire you in your life or opportunities to contribute to the development of the Fish Dome.
For your review I thought I would include some of the rejected names that I was considering for the blog. During my search for the perfect blog name ( if it exists) I was focused on some common themes. In retrospect I think I was just becoming way to absorbed in trying to make myself look smarter than a dumb old fish. Its funny to look at this list now but I have found that there are literally thousands and thousands of people that are blogging that have had similar thoughts. Its funny that from our own perspectives we think we are so darn smart. Here is my abandoned list with some brief commentary for each.

L'esprit d'escalier: Thinking of a witty remark after the event when it is too late.
Eudamonia: A philosophical term that means overall happiness.
Zeitgeist: The cultural spirit of the times that changes over time.
Vox Populi: A french term that means --  The man in the street.
Spiritus Mundi: The spirit of the world that is linked through a common intelligence.
Weltanschauung: A comprehensive world view.
Under the Bohdi Tree: The place where Buddha became enlightened for his teachings.
Vipassana: Insight into the nature of reality.
The Idiot Savant: A blog from a guy like the Rainman ...
JOATMAN: Jack of all trades-Master of None
ecrit therapie: Written therapy

all of those ideas considered this is how I decided to name my blog: Stagnant Dust in the Fish Dome ...

1 comment:

  1. Finally...a place to seek comment "revenge". Good luck. I am a big fan of stagnant dust, wherever it may reside.

    ReplyDelete