9/19/09

Hunting for Beaver in Orion, IL

I hate garage sales and the entire concept behind them. Let's face it they are just a creative way for people to unload their junk. People tell me I don't know what I am missing with the adventure of finding something special that you cannot find in the regular stores. Our house is loaded with things that have been purchased at garage sales that were considered a "great buy" or a "bargain" and that I consider to be junk.
Now we are faced with the prospects of unloading these items on other people with our own garage sale. Economists might call this the "economic salvage spiral of diminishing returns". As the items get older and older and pass from one household to the next the value of usage and the overall $$$ value continues to drop at an alarming rate. The cost of handling, and storage alone makes the entire endeavor a nightmare for the typical home owner.
I have discussed this numerous times with many experts on both sides of the issue. I have discovered that the majority of the time the typical garage sale hobbyist does not usually have a specific agenda or a set shopping list of items that they are seeking to purchase. They enjoy finding something at each sale that stirs up an impulse to buy it right there and right now. About three days later these items turn from garage sale gold into my junk that's old.
Recently, I was notified that my family was going to head out to Orion, Illinois for the annual church rummage sale . That is a fancy name for a junk sale. I wondered to myself what sorts of  "must have " items that would soon be darkening my doorway. To be honest, I cannot recall all of the items purchased that day as they have no value to me and I actually would rather forget the expenditures made in acquiring them. I do however remember the one lone treasure that was purchased that day that I found quite unique.
It was a life like replica of a Brown Beaver (Castor Canadensis) with soft fur and a funny looking expression. I have adopted him and decided that in every 1,000 garage sale trips there just might be a treasure there for me. Who would have ever thought that you could chase down and find a treasured Beaver in Orion, Illinois ??



I can't wait to get out there and see what I can find in the bargain bin.

Catfish

No comments:

Post a Comment